Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
How do I use interlibrary loan?
If you find a book through the online catalog that SMSU owns, you can request that we pull it from the shelf and send it to you. Also, if SMSU doesn't own a book or the full-text of an article that you need, we have a wide network of libraries we can ask to borrow it from-- and then pass it along to you. Here are the essential things to know about this service:
- Books will be shipped to your home address.
- You are responsible for the cost of returning the book to SMSU: we recommend mailing it "media mail." You can also return it to SMSU or any other colleges/universities in the Minnesota State system in person.
- Electronic versions of articles will be delivered to your SMSU email.
- In our library system students in our Nursing Program are identified as distance learners, so we know to send books and paper copies of articles to your home-- you don't have to ask. :-)
- The Interlibrary Loan (ILL) office takes care of your requests, so feel free to contact Maria or Conni with questions!
How long does it take?
If SMSU Library owns the requested item, interlibrary loans will be sent out the next business day via U.S. mail. Books and articles from other libraries could be delivered in as little as a week, but could take longer. Keep in mind that books from other libraries are first sent to us, and then we have to mail them to you. Most article requests are done electronically so the turnaround time is generally quicker than for physical materials.
Login to My Account to request interlibrary loans, check the status of your existing requests, and ask for renewals. You will use your StarID and password to log into the library's system, just as you would to SMSU email and other services.
Office hours: weekdays 8:30am-4:00pm
SMSU McFarland Library-Interlibrary Loan
Southwest Minnesota State University
1501 State St.
Marshall, MN 56258