Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Is there anything special I need to access library services?
You will need your SMSU StarID-- that should be it!
Login to My Account to request interlibrary loans, check the status of your existing requests, and ask for renewals. You will use your StarID and password to log into the library's system, just as you would to SMSU email and other services.
How long does it take?
If SMSU Library owns the requested item, document delivery service will usually take a week. Books and articles from other libraries could be delivered in as little as a week but may take 3-4 weeks.
What services are available to me?
We strive to offer our distance learners the same services available to on-campus students. Therefore, as a distance learner you have full access to:
However, as a distance learner there are a few extra hoops to jump through (we try to keep them low to the ground ;-) ), especially when requesting books through interlibrary loan.
The purpose of this page is to help you navigate through the process of finding, requesting, receiving, and returning interlibrary loan materials.
How do I use interlibrary loan?
If you find a book through the online catalog that SMSU owns, you can request that we pull it from the shelf and send it to you. Also, if SMSU doesn't own a book or the full-text of an article that you need, we have a wide network of libraries we can ask to borrow it from-- and then pass it along to you. Here are the essential things to know about this service:
- Books will be shipped to your home address.
- You are responsible for the cost of returning the book to SMSU: we recommend mailing it "media mail." You can also return it to SMSU or any other colleges/universities in the MinnState system in person.
- Electronic versions of articles will be delivered to your SMSU email.
- If you are enrolled as a distance learner or a College Now student, we know to send books and paper copies of articles to your home-- you don't have to ask. :-)
- The Interlibrary Loan (ILL) office takes care of your requests, so feel free to contact Maria or Conni with questions!
Are College Now students considered "distance learners"?
Ask a Librarian
Ask Us a Question!
If an SMSU Librarian isn't available via chat right now, please email